Wow. So.much.to.say. Akilah and I went on an enormous grand adventure!!!
Not counting going to visit family in California or Pennsylvania, this was the first full on week-long vacation I have taken since Tony and I wandered the west coast for a month back in the summer of 2004.
A fantastic friend from our OB days, Jason Driscoll (Disco), moved to Wyoming a bunch of years ago and has since been trying to get us to come visit. During the winter I got word that my 3/4 time contract had been approved and that was all I needed to hear to start planning our big trip! After mulling it over for some time, we concluded that just Akilah and I would go (for financial reasons and the fact that Tony could not really plan that far in advance).
Sooooo two Mondays ago, Akilah and I flew out to Denver. Disco picked us up (super super late by the way - what a trooper) and we drove to his house in Laramie, WY. We had a grand time spending two days exploring the town and recovering from our travel day. (By the way, Akilah is a super trooper traveling little three year old.) Oooo and we even ate some uber tasty grilled antelope steak that Disco had hunted. Some other highlights from our town days: walking to the park multiple times, making chicken noodle soup, playing with Elsa (Disco's boxer), taking a 2.5 hour nap, watching Disco play softball, and discovering the local yarn, used book, and quilting shops.
On Thursday we packed up the truck full of camping/festival gear and started our 9 hour drive to the Grand Targhee/Teton area of NW Wyoming. The drive was lovely and I took a ton of photographs. We took drove west on I-80 and then along the southern side of the Wind River Range. We stopped in Jackson for some supplies and then continued on through Teton Pass into Idaho. I had never been to Idaho! We drove through the teeny towns of Victor, Driggs, and Alta to get into the Grand Targhee National Forest and then on into the Grand Targhee Ski Resort. And alas we arrived at the Grand Targhee Bluegrass Festival!!! We camped at the festival Thursday night through Monday morning and had an absolute blast!
Akilah passed out pretty hard on Thursday night. Here is a photo of her all snuggled up in a sleeping bag. More posts on the rest of the adventure to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment