November 26, 2012

Hospital, round 3 - Kidney Stones

Wow this adventure surely never ceases to challenge (and amaze) me.

Saturday night/Sunday morning I was awake from 1 or 2am on with really intense back pain on my left side. I finally called my midwife at 6:30am and she met us at Mission Hospital. We wanted to make sure I wasn't in pre-term labor and figure out what was wrong.

Turns out I have kidney stones. Holy moly is all I have to say about that. Everything that folks say about having kidney stones seemed true for me... worst... pain... ever... They were giving me morphine every 30 minutes and that still did not provide much relief. Finally on Sunday evening after 6pm the pain started to diminish and I was able to pee again.

I am still in the hospital until tomorrow (Tuesday) to continue to receive IV fluids and rest. They think one of the stones might have broken up and passed through, but there might be more. My back is still really sore, but nothing close to what I was experiencing yesterday. (Apparently I had everyone around here concerned because of the amount of pain I was in.)

I am so grateful for my parents (they just happened to be in town Friday through yesterday) and we enjoyed a scrumptious Thanksgiving celebration on Saturday afternoon. They also hung out with Akilah all day yesterday so that Tony could be here at the hospital with me. I am also so very thankful for a few lovely friends that came to sit with me here last evening. I could not move or get out of bed to go to the bathroom on my own.

Alas, this adventure continues.

Oh and now I am 27 weeks and will enter my third trimester this Friday. Wooo!

No comments: