June 5, 2011

seasons

This post is for Akilah. She finished her first year of school last week and is having a challenging time understanding that it is now time for summer vacation. She misses going to the Little Round Schoolhouse three mornings a week, but is slowly learning that she will return there with all her friends in the fall.


As of late, multiple times a day I hear "Mama, can I ___ at/to school in the fall?" For example, "Mama, can I wear these sunglasses to school in the fall?" and "Mama can I show all my friends at school the bandage on my knee?"

Each day Akilah also asks me about the seasons, their order, and when fall is coming. Interestingly enough, her favorite books to read at the moment are all about the seasons. The Story of the Root Children, When the Root Children Wake Up, and The Children of the Forest.








The children's last day of school concluded with a community potluck, laughter, play and lots of sunshine. We also participated in a lovely circle in which Miss Becca read a card for each child. During the weeks prior, the children collaborated on a special card for one another.




Yesterday, while Akilah was taking an incredibly long afternoon nap in our room, I played in her room with many of her treasures from throughout the school year.
Akilah celebrated her third birthday during this past school year. Her thoughtful teachers presented her with this delightful gift of felted balls. The candle is the one that I made, at a parent meeting prior to the start of the year, specifically for Akilah and her birthday celebration.
The snail painting was done by Mr. Scott prior to the start of school (each child has a different symbol to designate his/her place in the circle, cubby, etc). Akilah made the two gnomes, a butterfly, and an acorn necklace at various points throughout the year. She also made a lantern that hangs in her room and a beeswax candle that burns each time we sing our mealtime blessing.
The Earth’s been good to me, and so I thank the Earth
For giving me the things I need
The sun, and the rain, and the apple seed.
The Earth’s been good to me.

Akilah loves to paint! Her teachers frequently commented on how they enjoyed watching her throughout the process. Here is a selection of her wet on wet watercolor paintings.


During the last few weeks of school, the children were incredibly excited about a gnome that likes to hide in and around the schoolyard. During the potluck we thoroughly enjoyed watching them run around in search of the gnome! How fitting that as a final parting gift, the children were each given an egg filled with "treasures".


Hopefully we will continue to see all Akilah's beloved friends throughout the summer!


No comments: