January 28, 2014

Snow Days and Baby Steps

Today we had a snow day! (All 2 inches or so but still... two inches around here sends everyone into a panic and the county schools were closed for the rest of the week.) (Akilah's school is on their own plan since it doesn't have buses. They had two snow days and then a one hour delay.)

This evening Akilah played outside for upwards of two hours until I had to practically drag her in for dinner. I kept looking out the window and would see her talking to herself; rolling around; crawling around; and sledding down the hill in our backyard. I love to see her engrossed in such intense imaginative play!

We don't have any photos but have a video. I still can't figure out how to make it the right size for this space though; the uploads never work. Oh technology!

Akilah also developed this elaborate treasure hunt for us. She created the map, list of provisions, and then made each item.
Here I am with the pirate hat. (Photo by Akilah.)

A self portrait of her eye patch.

Papa sporting the bandana. (Photo by Akilah.)

Her treasure map. I'm not sure why she didn't finish writing all of our names; perhaps because she ran out of space. So adorable!!!

Akilah with her map, flashlight, and eye patch.

Love the creativity, sparkle and excitement in her eyes!
 And now we enter day two of snow day and the pirate treasure hunt continues!
Then she decided that Tony should wear the eye patch because it fit him better. She then named him "Black Eyed Pea." Just awesome. Really. (Photo by Akilah.)


Self portrait of Akilah now sporting the pirate hat.


In other news Kaia is almost 11 and a half months old and is starting to take many steps. (Akilah didn't walk until she was 15 months so we were not quite prepared (mentally) for Kaia to start already. Kaia is significantly heavier though so I'm not complaining...) She is growing so fast!! I am surely not ready for her to turn one yet. It seems like just yesterday...

Kaia also received an early birthday present; this wooden wagon. I bought it used from a friend, score! Because, well, I had been scouring Craigslist for two months and came up with nothing. This one new (from Nova Natural) is pretty pricey (but made in the USA) so I was grateful for the used factor, real wood factor, and the made here factor. We are all about fewer (simpler) but higher quality items for our children. Living in a small house helps our cause as well.



No comments: