A number of weeks ago Akilah came home from school talking excitedly about something one of her teachers shared with the class. Our conversation went something like this:
Akilah - "...a bird nest under the bushes in a state to the south of us... Hawaii maybe..."
Um, okay... wait, what?!
Mama - "Are you sure you don't mean South Carolina?"
Akilah - "Nooooo, not South Carolina. Hawaii. It's Hawaii."
Mama - "But Hawaii is not really to the South of us... Under the bushes you say? Do you mean the bushes outside your classroom window?"
So the probing with a series of questions continued for a bit until I was able to put a few thoughts together and Google "live bird nest Hawaii". And lo and behold I found it (on the first try nonetheless)! Cornell Lab Bird Cams!! She was talking about this little Laysan Albatross. And I absolutely love geeking out on watching. Seriously. I'm pretty sure people think I'm nuts. In fact, the cam is open in another window right now and I randomly click over to check on what Kaloakulua is up to; incredibly fascinating. I highly recommend checking it out. (I also really like this one (FeederWatch cam located in the Treman Bird Feeding Garden at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology).
I want to learn more about birds.
On other notes, I shall be traveling to ARMENIA! Yes indeed. For a short term study abroad course in the spring of 2015. Ye-haw!
No comments:
Post a Comment