While the girls and I were away for 3.5 weeks it rained. A lot. So much in fact that most gardens around here are not doing well.
The squash (spaghetti, butternut, and the mystery hybrid) all have powdery mildew. Today I ripped out all the plants. The mystery is taking up a great deal of garden space and I don't even know if it will taste good or not. We have harvested about 10 of them and I will test them out. The spaghetti squash and butternut were near the sunflowers so had the most amount of mildew.
 |
| The mystery hybrid. I thought it was acorn when I transplanted it from another section of the garden. But then when the leaves got bigger I thought it was zucchini that had volunteered from last year. Nope. Hybrid. Lesson learned. Don't save volunteer squash. |
 |
| Pickling cukes!!! Even though the vines looked terrible and the leaves were obviously dying, I was able to harvest all of these before ripping out the plants. Pickle canning time!!! |
I picked what butternut and spaghetti we did have to see if it would ripen off the vine.
 |
| Fennel way past harvest time. I learned some interesting things about fennel today via YouTube... |
 |
| I cut the bulbs and will use them soon. So. Much. Fennel. |
 |
| And will replant the root parts of them to hopefully grow more! |
Stay tuned for more garden goodness... I have been clearing out an entire bed to plant fall and winter greens. I also plan to plant other things where the squash bed was, but need to prep the soil first. Our tomatoes don't look so hot either, but I will leave what green ones are out there to ripen and then need to get rid of the plants.
And damn the rats. I see their home. Stay away from our veggies!!! Go eat the random pile of mildewy crap I pulled out and left to wilt before hauling it to the curb.
No comments:
Post a Comment