Today we celebrated autumn's arrival by making applesauce from the 2 pecks of cortlands we picked last week. It's the easiest thing in the world to make. I just soaked the apples in vinegar water before quartering them because, sadly, they were not organic. (all the more reason for land. Our own land...)
I cook them with a little bit of water in the bottom of the pot. The only thing I added was some cinnamon and cardamom. Yum! There were enough apples to fill my three largest pots.
Then we ran everything through our food mill. I plan to turn the apple guts into apple cider vinegar.
This is what Kaia was up to during our applesauce making:
 |
| This girl can keep herself entertained for hours! |
Here is the finished product. Two large pots of cinnamon-cardamom applesauce and one container of guts. I was going to can it but that just seemed like too much effort when we have such a large freezer, so into the deep freeze it goes.
Akilah eats applesauce every day with the contents of a probiotic capsule mixed in so this will not last us very long. We need so many more apples!
No comments:
Post a Comment