June 10, 2012

Garden progress...

Things are slowly happening in the garden. Perhaps it just feels slow because as I look out our back window, our neighbor's garden plants are 6 times the size of ours... 

Today it is overcast and raining on and off and the plants and I are loving it. I really enjoy working in the garden when the weather is like this. So very peaceful! And Akilah loves to wander around the paths with her umbrella.


Akilah and I picked these today to make these muffins with raspberries instead of blueberries:
 She struggles with not eating them ALL as we pick, so we are lucky to have so many. Although they are not a cupful, so I will add some peach. Yum.


The corn has come up, although I was so anti-corn that I only planted one row. (Tony really really wanted to plant corn.) So with only one row, I think I am going to need to hand pollinate it... The butternut squash and zucchini are also doing well. (I have some neem oil leftover from last year come time to battle the squash bug and cucumber beetles.)


Along the pink line are sweet potatoes. They are slowly doing well. [This is actually really exciting because 1). I have never planted potatoes before and 2). I was given a super deal on them because the slips didn't look so hot when I got them.]


The slicing cumbers are doing well. The pickling are not growing as fast. I should have just put the two trellises together to form an "A" shape, hindsight... Here are the slicing ones:


The bush beans and lima beans have come up and are lookin' good!


Our snap and snow peas are doing awesome and are super tasty - just ate a large quantity sauteed with eggs, onion and arugula. (Akilah has been feeding some peas to the dogs as we pick them. As a result, I caught Red trying to pick one off himself...)


The bunch onions are slowly doing well, especially considering they keep getting accidentally stepped on by a certain little person. The arugula and chard is also doing well. The spinach bolted already so I chopped it all off with scissors - might as well just pull it out. Guess I should just plant it much earlier in the spring and again in the fall.


Both varieties of pepper plants are looking great, but seem to be growing so slowly. The roma tomato start looks awesome. The ones I started from seeds are still uber tiny, and only two out of the four survived. I think I will try to find some starts to replace the two that croaked. Although it might be really helpful to have tomatoes at different stages for harvesting, I would prefer to have them all producing at the same time for canning purposes.


Edited: So I ended up getting four tomato starts from Appalachian Seeds.
Looking at the garden from the house from left to right they are:
Amish Paste
Amish Paste
Costoluto Genovese
Red Brandywine

By planting all four, I ended up replacing the two teeny tiny roma starts. They have been re-potted and brought inside to try and nurture indoors for awhile. Perhaps I will end up growing them in containers in the front yard, as all the backyard bed space is accounted for.


No comments: