June 16, 2012

Strawberries, rhubarb, and grain-free goodness

We do not usually go to the farmer's market in Downtown Asheville on Saturdays because West Asheville has it's own on Tuesdays within walking distance of our house. However, this past week I was feeling under the weather and worked the Alpine Tower so we missed the Tuesday market. However, we were majorly lacking in veggies so today Akilah and I ventured Downtown. In addition to other delicious local veggies, I grabbed a gallon of strawberries (we are nearing the end of strawberry season in WNC) and a ridiculous amount of rhubarb.


So I made Grain-Free Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins  (These are made with coconut flour so this version is also nut free.) They are scrumptious!!!


I also baked a Grain-Free Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. I used two different recipes that I found online (on Pinterest of course) - this one for the crust and this one for the filling (although I substituted honey for the agave).

Here is the filling all steamy and ready for the top crust.

  The finished product:
I had never made a pie with an upper crust before, but love it. (FYI, this kind of pie crust is not similar to a flaky wheat crust, just know that ahead of time. This one is made with almond and coconut flour and the bottom layer gets all mushy and delicious as it melds with the filling. At the same time, I appreciated the firmer texture the upper crust added.)

Yum!!!! Seriously this pie is incredibly delicious. (That's why there is so much missing already!) Hopefully it will last until Tony gets home so he can have some too...


There are still a lot of strawberries and rhubarb in our fridge- who knows what culinary delights tomorrow will bring!

No comments: