August 7, 2013

Tomatoes

This has been a horrible year for tomatoes. It's been WAY too wet. There have been some green ones on the plants in our garden, but that is all we are going to get. No more flowers.

The other day I was thrilled we were able to get this many at one time:
This year I planted two varieties: the Roma and the Mortgage Lifter. It is obvious which is which.

Today I turned them into 4 pints of pizza sauce:
These are half-pint jars. There are 7 and instead of canning such a small amount, I placed them in the freezer. (We ate the 8th one for dinner tonight!)

I suppose I used that link above as a base, but I didn't put in any garlic, basic, paprika, or sugar. Mainly because I was wrangling a teething baby at the same time so I just threw it all together insanely fast after pureeing all the veggies. I did, however, try the fun freezer technique for getting the skins off the tomatoes; it worked really well!

No comments: