October 4, 2012

Apple Orchard Field Trip

Today Akilah's school had a field trip to Sky Top Apple Orchard. Parents always have to go along, so this time we decided to make it a family outing! (The past two years Tony has taken her on the apple orchard field trip without me, so I was determined to go this year.) (This was also definitely one of the very few times we have left the house on a fun excursion all together in months.)

We were there as a family all happy and excited... for less than 5 minutes and then whist drinking warm apple cider and waiting for all the other children to arrive, Akilah got stung on her finger by a yellow jacket and all hell broke loose. (She also got stung on the finger (other hand) not that long ago while at school. It has been a torturous yellow jacket filled few weeks.)


Tony wanted to take a photo of my new glasses. They are fancy and the lenses turn darker in the sun.

Hay ride! We of course put some plantain on her finger and thankfully one of the other Papas had some Apis (a homeopathic remedy) to help the sting situation. All was much better from this point forward. Until... another bee was spotted and then the blood curdling screams returned. And oh are there lots of bees at an orchard!

Holy cuteness.


Lucie and Akilah on the swings.

Akilah and Banyan playing. Me looking a little pregnant.

And we're off to pick apples! Too bad they are not an organic orchard... (Organic orchards are really hard to find around here.)

Tony had all the children running after him to find our first tree. We were in search of the Arkansas Black, which ended up not really being all that tasty.

Akilah and Banyan with full bags of apples.

I had to seriously medicate myself to be able to withstand the 30 minute car ride from our house to the orchard and had to ride with my eyes closed. The car ride home was a different story, much less tolerable. I don't think I will be venturing out for fun for quite some time. (I then had to drive myself to class. Let's just say that I have mastered driving and puking at the same time...)

No comments: