June 29, 2013

Knitting Fun

Last week I started working on this knitted whale stuffed toy for Kaia. The pattern calls for size 4 double pointed needles, which I did not have. I did however have a size 3 circular... Conveniently the pattern also says that you can use the magic loop method, which is a great way to get around needing the DPNs. (I didn't know about this fancy magic loop phrase back when I was knitting lots of hats, I just did it on my own out of necessity.)

Using the circulars with the magic loop for such a small diameter project and for so long (the entire thing), was starting to wear on my high quality favorite needles.

Rewind - At the beginning of this project I started the darn whale over three times. Then once I was on a roll, about halfway through I realized that I had messed up big time; didn't have the right number of stitches, was decreasing in a way different than instructed, etc. But I kept knitting away, hoping it would still turn out resembling a whale in some fashion.

I then stuffed it and kept on knitting, getting ready to knit the tail. As I was knitting I just laughed and laughed. It looked nothing like a whale, and definitely not the one pictured in the pattern. So I turned it into an eggplant by decreasing all the way to only have 4 stitches remaining and then did a few rows of i-cord. Now we have this lovely eggplant to add to our play kitchen! (Or pear, random blog, or whatever kind of thing the girls imagine it to be.)




Okay, back to the whale. I still don't have the darn adorable whale I set out to knit for Kaia. So yesterday I broke down and purchased some lovely locally made size 4 DPNs. I think I have finally mastered how to use them (I was always just a little hesitant, they looked so tricky!)

Here is the beginning of the new and improved mama-is-following-all-the-directions-and-using-the-proper-tools whale: (It is going rather well and the DPNs were oh so very worth it!!! Much easier to keep track of everything and there are the appropriate number of stitches, etc.)


I'll keep adding photos as I make more progress. This is actually a rather quick and easy project now that I have the hang of it.... :)

No comments: