September 23, 2012

Garden Update

Yesterday Tony attacked the garden with a weed eater. It was very very very much needed and I am so grateful! The entire area was a huge jungle and we are now able to see the nest the rats created... They ate all our corn (except about 4 ears) - those f-ers can climb corn stalks. Who knew? (I think T is leaving a few stalks behind because they provide some privacy from all the neighbors behind us. I like them, very autumnesque.)

During the demolition process Tony unjungled all these butternut squash! (They seemed unscathed by the rats, squash bugs, and cucumber beetles. The cucumbers, zucchini, and acorn squash are another story...)

Akilah was thrilled with the baby butternut.

Some kind of pepper...

So with the removal of all plant life in the garden went the potato plants... Eeeeek! (I was napping during the demolition process...) Last evening the weather was rather cool and lovely so I sneaked away for some quiet and solitude (which I seem to be needing all the time lately.) With a trusty hand trowel I sat in the empty garden digging where I knew I planted the potato slips. Although I was incredibly grateful for the silence, I was even more grateful when Tony and Akilah discovered me. Weeew I am really weak and not ready for such a task! Tony came to my rescue with a large shovel.

Akilah washing the sweet potatoes.

Here are the O Henry and Beauregard Sweet Potatoes all cleaned up!
They really are rather lovely! (I have never grown potatoes before.) Now if I can just make the switch from eating potatoes with cottage cheese to eating sweet potatoes, that would be helpful.

No comments: