September 6, 2012

science

I love biology (especially entomology). Part of me wishes I would have continued to use my biology degree beyond the college years.

Tony found this caterpillar on the front door and placed it back into the yard. Later in the day, Akilah and I came home and found the same caterpillar on the front door!

So naturally we scooped it into a jar and Akilah "fed" it plantain from the yard. (Although I believe it is a swallowtail and doubt plantain is part of their diet.)

I would love to be able to identify it more specifically! (now coveting this guide book.) I much prefer having an actual book in my hands to the internet.

All evening we've been observing the little critter; for hours it has been in this same spot. Occasionally it turns around, but never crawls away (there isn't even a lid on the jar.) Completely fascinating! Forming it's chrysalis perhaps?



No comments: