January 4, 2013

Wow

Last evening Tony and I went to our first of a 6 week birthing class. (Yes, of course we have done this before, but it has been 5 years and we have a different plan this time, so I was thrilled about this specific class.) And after the first day I am still very excited about it, as I think it will be much more helpful and beneficial than the one we took the first time around. And yes, we were the only ones that declined the hospital tour because I am pretty sure we know it really well by now.

At the beginning of class we were each asked to create a pipe cleaner representation of how our pregnancies have been thus far, Papa's included. It was a rather eye opening reminder of how most women experience pregnancy... There are eight couples in the class and every other couple had creations that included peace signs, thumbs ups, smiley faces, empowerment, etc. I created a stick figure with a puke bucket and an IV. Tony's was a fish symbolizing going with the flow (which was rather sweet of him because I know it has also been an incredibly challenging time for him as well.)



Tony and I were a bit taken aback by how wonderfully blissful everyone else seemed to feel about their experiences. We had completely forgotten that our experience is not normal. I tend to avoid fully interacting with anyone that just does not understand. And no, I don't go hang out with other expectant mama's chatting about pregnancy and babyness. And I definitely do not go to prenatal yoga or pilates classes. (I had tried prenatal yoga class a few times when I was pregnant with Akilah and it always ended in me needing to go home and violently vomit for a few hours.)

No comments: