We are late this year with getting things going and obviously had done nothing to it since harvest season was over last fall. A few weeks ago Tony amended the soil (it is full of clay here) and a friend helped me finish the process. It has just been waiting for me to get my act together to plant...
| We had some weeding to do. I think there is actually volunteer corn coming up in this bed. Food for the rats again? I surely hope not. |
| The strawberries are looking great and two rhubarb plants have survived (I thought they were not going to come back, but they have!) |
We moved some baby chard plants to the raised bed near the big chard plant from last year. We also planted two rows of chard seeds and two rows of kale seeds. And then it rained. For two days straight. Folks say we got over 6 inches in West Asheville and all the low lying areas around here have flooded. I fear the seeds may have just floated away...
We had fun nonetheless getting the process started. Akilah kept saying "I LOVE gardening days!!" Over and over again. And was very enthusiastic about weeding and planting seeds. I love that girl's passion! And am very grateful she has gone to a school where gardening, playing outside in all kinds of weather, etc. are the norm. (I am also in denial that she only has a few weeks left...)
No comments:
Post a Comment